WHY TO VISIT CHISINAU
Chisinau is the capital of the Republic of Moldova, but for all its citizens it is more known as "The city of white stone". The first historical trail of Chisinau dates back to 1436, but was completely destroyed during the Second World War. However, it recovered quickly and regained its uniqueness by enriching itself with buildings in different architectural styles.
The main street is Boulevard Stefan cel Mare, along which are found most of the administrative buildings of Moldova, the National Theater M. Eminescu and the Opera and Ballet Theater.
In the old city you can find around 700 buildings of the nineteenth century, including the Cathedral Sobor and the Arc de Triomphe with the Clock, built in memory of the victory of the army of the tsar against the Ottomans.
Moving away just one block from the main road, the concrete disappears to give way to large green areas. One of these is the Cathedral Park and takes its name from the Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration. At the exit is the flower market, open 24 hours a day. For a quiet walk, the best place is the Stefan Cel Mare Public Garden, inside which is the great Cinema Patria, built by the German prisoners in 1947 and still working.
One of the main museums is the National Historical Museum, where artifacts from the Orheiul Vechi archaeological complex are preserved. Also very interesting is the Museum of Archeology and Ethnology, which contains reconstructions of traditional houses from the various regions of Moldova. Finally, for lovers of poetry it is a must to stop at the Pushkin Museum, located next to the cottage where the poet from Russia spent his three years in exile, from 1820 to 1823.
Many of the tourists who visit the city of Chisinau are amazed by the bustling nightlife, animated until dawn by numerous clubs, pizzerias and restaurants. In the latter you can taste lamb, moussaka or a hot soup called chorba.
WHAT TO SEE IN CHISINAU
Top attractions not to be missed are:
- Boulevard Stefan cel Mare
- National Museum of Ethnography and Natural History
- Stephen the Great Monument
- Chisinau Railway Station
- Chisinau City Hall
- Cattedrale Park
- Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviour
- St. Theodor Tiron Convent
- Stefan cel Mare Park
- Dendrarium Park
- Sculpture of Lovers
- Dormition of the Theotokos
- St. Mary's Armenian Apostolic Church
Following instead some hidden spots of the city that only locals know!
- look the city from the top of Turnul de apă (Str. Alexei Mateevici, 60A)
WHEN TO GO TO CHISINAU
Best period to visit Chisinau is from April to October.
Following a list of main events and typical festivals and celebrations of Chisinau.
- Martisor Music Festival
- Maria Biesu opera and ballet festival (September)
- Wine Day (October)
HOW TO REACH AND MOVE IN CHISINAU
main airport is the Chișinău Airport.
WHAT TO DO IN CHISINAU
typical dishes of Chisinau are:
- Mititeyi: small grilled sausages with onion and pepper.
- Mamaliga: thick, sticky maize pie served with brinza (feta cheese).
- Tocana: pork stew.
- Ghiveci: lamb or goat stew.
- Mamaliga: cornmeal boiled in salt water until it's mushy; this is served with nearly every traditional meal as a base or side.
- Brinza: a very popular sheep cheese found in or with many dishes.
- Placinte: pastries shaped like pies that are usually topped with cheese, potatoes, or fruit.
- Pârjoale: meatballs of minced pork mixed with eggs, garlic, herbs, spices and salt, rolled in bread crumbs or flour and fried in hot oil.
- Chiftele: flat and round meatballs usually made from minced pork, mixed with mashed potatoes and spices, then deep-fried and served with pilaf or mashed potatoes.
- Sarmale: minced meat with rice, wrapped in either pickled cabbage leaves or vine leaves.
- Cozonac: sweet bread with rasins hazelnuts and wallnuts.
- Brânzoaice: small bun stuffed with cheese, baked until golden.
- Sfințișori: eight-shaped sweet bread.
typical souvenirs of Chisinau are:
- Embroidered linen
- Martisor tablecloths
- Sheepskin Hat
- Folk clothing
- Wood carving works
- Woven bags
- Ceramics and pottery
- Folk dressed dolls
- Flute and Pan flute
- Buzdugan wooden mace
- Pastrami ham
- Wine or Nucul de Aur Balsam, alcholic drink made of walnut and herbs
The main theatre of Chisinau is Moldova National Opera Ballet.